Saturday, May 1, 2010

WE WEAR THE MASK


When I'm not looking at or blogging about political propaganda, I like to look at African American art. It is something that is very near and dear to my heart. African American art is very powerful and thought provoking and deal with various things that deal with the black community. This piece of African American that I' am blogging about to today reminds me of a Paul Laurence Dunbar poem titled We Wear the Mask. The poem is about how people put up this facade or mask to hide their pain and malcontent with world because the rest of the world won't be able to relate. The painting has a young African American male pealing off the white mask that once adorned his face. I think that this painting picks up where the Dunbar poem left off. In the painting, the man is finally able to take off the mask and be himself and be free. This painting represents where we are as a society are today. We are no longer afraid to voice our concerns,malcontent,etc. Now whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is entirely another. I think that this painting correlates perfectly with Dunbar's poem.


Image:http://www.artnsoulgallery.com

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful.

    I promote African American Art and Artists. I'd love to discuss ways we might collaborate.

    Visit our FB page here: http://www.facebook.com/BlackArtConnect#!/pages/Black-Art-Connect/106220389399907?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete