Sunday, May 9, 2010

Edward Hopper


I first came across Edward Hopper's artwork my senior in high school in an AP Lit. Yea, I know not the most likely place one would learn about art. The painting that we were required to analyze was Nighthawks. This is probably one of Hopper's most famous paintings. The thing stuck out the most to me about this painting was the eerie feeling it gave me. There are only four people in the painting: the waiter, two gentlemen, and a lady. But outside the diner it is barren and not another living creature in sight. It kind of has a I Am Legend feel to it except there are four people. It's just them in their own bubble; alone in this diner. If Hopper was trying to convey isolation with a 1950s diner theme, then he nailed it right on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment