Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Statue of Liberty Gets Busy


I choose this art piece or poster because it really caught my eye. The person who created this clearly had a strong political feeling and chose art to express their frustration. My last two post show how countries used art to bolster their ego and superiority. This piece is the complete opposite. There is no glory. There is no pride, but the statement of art itself is just a bold as the Stalin/Nazi art. The creator of this poster took one of the most iconic symbols of United States of America and gave it more feminine and human characteristics. The Statue of Liberty represents our nations prowess, the glory of the past, and a sense of hope that millions of immigrants felt as they passed it to start anew. In this poster, the Statue of Liberty looks vulnerable and unsure. The man seems to have all the power, emotionally and sexually. I also liked how the artist used sexual connotations to show their displeasure with the government. I think its different from other works art where politics is being mocked or bashed. Some people might find this disrespectful, but it's a form of expression. This person chose art to express their feelings. This is what they feel and that is what makes it so powerful...the raw emotion and imagery. It made me think and evoked a feeling from me and therefore I believe that this is art. And it's done its job as far as a piece of art goes.
Image:http://www.domnx.com/gallery/liberties/jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment